Friday, March 17, 2017

Playstyles: Prologue

Starting next week, I'll be doing a small limited series I call "Playstyles."

While I still have a lot of cinematic and lore analyses to compose on a wide range of subjects, it has been gaming filling up what's left of my free time of late, and I wanted to ruminate on just how we like to play.

This isn't going to be a completely in-depth analysis on gaming class archetypes - that's been done numerous times around the web and far better than I ever could. What I want to do is discuss it in a crash-course setting and foster discussion amongst however many of you dear readers I still have left. I want this to be one of those things where I work out my own preferences and find out what all yours are.

I don't have a specific day of the week these will be posted. Like all non-GM posts, they'll be pretty random. I am committed to at least one per week in order to avoid the long hiatus' that have plagued me over the past year or two. However, I can give you an outline of the subjects I will be covering, though this can be subject to change as the weeks fly on:

Prologue: This
Part 1: Fighter, Mage, and Thief
Part 2: Tank, DPS, and Healer
Part 3: Aggro, Control, and Combo
Part 4: Hybrids, Bards, and Flavors
Part 5: My Personal Playstyles

Now, most of these examples and terminologies will be used in relation to Fantasy RPGs (either tabletop or digital) and Part 3 describes mainly trading card games. But this can be extrapolated into almost any style and genre of game with minimal fudging and the elements of the playstyles remain the same.

Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment