Sunday, January 4, 2015

Hairy Baby

So yeah...I saw a couple of movies last month and didn't get a chance to really talk about them here. Expect updates over the next few days.

First up: Big Hero Six


(Warning: Spoilers Ahead)




Disney had been doing a really interesting thing lately where it does all it can to make me think it's going in the most obvious and done-to-death direction and then making a small but very surprising change that subverts my expectations in a mildly impressive way.

Case in point: While I should have expected that they wouldn't have cast James Cromwell as a character that dies within the first 20 minutes (well, they did that for "I, Robot", but that wasn't an animated feature that they could have easily gotten a less expensive person for), I thought just like the characters that the corporate guy was the obvious villain. So it was a pretty nice subversion.

Also, I didn't realize that the movie was "inspired by" an existing Marvel franchise until the always-awesome ever-present Stan Lee cameo. Who knew?

Other than that, it was a nice little film. It didn't leave a bigger impression on me than that, but I truly enjoyed it. I kind of liked the blending of East and West. Honey Lemon was adorkable and the kind of girl I would totally have gotten a major crush on in college. Baymax is lovable. Finally, there are some really nice messages about dealing with loss.

And...um...that's all I have to say about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment