Monday, September 30, 2013

September Anniversaries

I need to stop leaving these for last minute...




10 Years Old This Month
Lost in Translation - I only mention this here because many people at the time found it to be a very groundbreaking film. I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's certainly an interesting character study starring two very capable actors, so I felt it deserved a mention here.
Bubba Ho-Tep - A very strange mix of horror, comedy, and character drama. Starring Bruce Campbell as Elvis. 'Nuff said.
Once Upon a Time in Mexico - The third part of Robert Rodriguez's "El Mariachi" trilogy, and the first one I ever saw or was really aware of. And, with its all-star cast, Spaghetti-Western sensibilities, sense of fun, and surprisingly decent soundtrack, it remains the only one I can watch again and again. Doesn't make my ballooning list of Top 25 favorite films, but it's certainly up there.

20 Years Ago This Month
The Good Son - This was Macaulay Culkin trying to break away from his kid-star hero image. Did he go too far? Perhaps, but I got a kick out of his unrepentantly evil child versus young hobbit Elijah Wood.

See you next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment