Monday, August 5, 2013

Doing Some Right by Layla

How the hell did I miss "Layla"?

When I did my Twelve Days of Listmas entry on Music, somehow, some way, I left "Layla" by Derek and the Dominoes off the list.

Now, I'm not a huge fan of most of Clapton's work, talented as he is. I'm even less of a fan of some of the things he's done in his personal life, including the inspiration for this very song.

But my god, that riff from "Layla" gives me eargasms like few other things can. Definitely in my top ten favorite compositions, almost certainly the top non-instrumental.

Why do I bring this up now and not in my updated list later this year? Only because I just discovered this the other day

It's hardly new; I think I read somewhere that it was from the 80s. But I had to share this with you all just in case some of you haven't heard it yet. This is a brilliant and beautiful adaptation. WHY is this not in an action scene from a movie? No, seriously, why?


4 comments:

  1. Oooh, love me some symphonic rock.

    Also love "Layla", mostly because of that piano outro (I play piano and appreciate when it's given such a heavy focus like that. Also it was used in an episode in Community, which is always a great thing).

    The acoustic version is pretty good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the acoustic, but it's missing the riff. I think a sax would do the trick there.

      Delete
  2. I like "Bell-Bottom Blues" better because they used the tabla for percussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not familiar with that one. I'll have to check it out.

      Delete