Monday, March 25, 2013

MM2: The Magic Has Been Restored

So here is the reason that my Skylander's collection has stalled.

For the first time in 15 years, I've been collecting Magic cards.



When I was a kid, my mother used to collect Magic the Gathering cards, and she'd give me her extras to collect. I never got my head around the game, but I adored the art. Now this was like Alpha we're talking about here. I stopped collecting shortly after Mirage, though every so often I'd find my cards and try to learn the game before realizing that no one else cared.

Recently, a friend of mine who's huge into Magic became excited because a recent "block" was bringing back his favorite "guild." I had no idea what he was talking about, so he told me about the old Ravinca story set, and how this year they were bringing it back with new cards. He showed me the website dealing with "Return to Ravnica" and I was instantly re-hooked, since I adored the way the different color combinations worked with each other to create new mechanics.

So I reacquainted myself with the game. I read articles on Magic's website, bought a handful of preconstructed decks of my preferred guilds, and I even took the ultimate step last Friday: I participated in a sanctioned Magic the Gathering event.

I lost spectacularly. But at least it was spectacular!

Originally I had my eyes set on the Dimir, being Blue/Black (my favorite colors). But I also always had a fondness for Green, so I picked up  Simic and Golgari as well (and a few others, bu they aren't important right now). As much as I enjoyed Dimir's milling, it was Simic that proved very effective with its Evolve mechanic of building up +1/+1 counters, plus the whole Dr. Moreau angle of the lore.

So it was the Simic deck that I brought with me to the Friday Night magic and got my butt handed to me, and Simic that I "joined" as part of the largely casual-useless Planeswalker Points site. What I didn't know, of course, was that you could mix guilds. This gives me an idea to build a superdeck melding the strategies of Simic, Dimir, and Golgari. I won't go into too many details right now, since I need more cards to really test my strategy, but I do think I'm on to something here.

No comments:

Post a Comment