Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Missed Anniversary: The Beatles on Ed Sullivan

I just wanted to give a shout out to an anniversary I missed last month, because I usually focus on movies and, once in a while, TV shows and video games. However, back in February was a milestone of a different sort: the 50th anniversary of the first US appearence of The Beatles.

Watching that old Ed Sullivan show really puts things in perspective. It's very much like modern boy bands - because that's exactly what the Beatles were, at first. What seperated them, aside from proficiency with their instruments of course, was how they would spend the rest of the decade totally revolutionizing the way music is written, recorded, and listened to.

But even then, you could see the talent and charm that would make them hands down the biggest musical act of all time, as well as one of my personal favorite bands. If only they hadn't burned out so quickly...

1 comment:

  1. Funny story-when I was a kid I thought the Beatles were women (before I saw their faces). I was shocked when I saw otherwise.

    Yeah, like most people I was a fan of The Beatles. I had a crush on Paul at one point and would replay the 1 hits compilation (the one with a red cover and yellow #1). I went through a mini heavy Beatles phase when I was 11 and watched what I could find of the 60s cartoon. (Ringo is an adorable goofball). I feel badly that I don't listen to them as much as I used to.

    ReplyDelete