Monday, October 8, 2012

Clone Wars 5.02: A War On Two Fronts

Never bring a Jedi into a Love Triangle.

Spoilers Ahead



So I've encountered an inherent flaw that I'm sure all other reviewers of this show have dealt with. With these obvious arcs, it's difficult to comment on the story when we haven't had the whole one.

Now that I think about it, this show watches very much like a comic book. A few one-offs separating several-episode arcs. Very interesting.

On the planet of Onderon (and I had to rewind it a few times because I could've sworn they said "Alderaan" at first), Anakin, Ahsoka, and Obi-Wan are sent in to help train a rebel force to help overthrow the Seperatist forces.

Continuing with the theme of comic books, I wasn't a fan of Ahsoka Tano when I saw the pilot film because she smacked of an annoyingly plucky audience serrogate, much like Robin when he was originally introduced to the Batman comics. However, again much like Robin, she has very much grown into her own into a complex and likable character in her own right. Not sure where the switch was (another casualty in coming in so late). She obviously harbors unrequited feelings for Lux Bonteri (a recurring character who I've only met once before, and is at the head of the rebel forces), and she's battling with her feelings verses her Jedi training, much like her master, especially when it appears he's growing closer with one of the other rebel leaders.

This dynamic made up the meat of the story, though there were other nice moments. Anakin's "Impressive; Most Impressive" stands out for obvious reasons. I still don't completely trust Saw, the third Rebal Leader, but we'll see how this goes. Onderon itself seems like a cross between Pandora and Isla Nublar, and that was a little distracting (I kept making obscure reference jokes).

One last thing, that I almost forgot. The opening of Anakin trying to appeal to the Jedi Council to send help in the first place absolutely smacks of what we as the US have done in trying to arm insurgents in the past only to have them turn around and terrorize us. Make of that what you will.

In the end, I'll have more to say when I see the rest of the arc.

No comments:

Post a Comment