Friday, August 17, 2012

Double Feature: Brave Campaigns

I've gone to the movies more in the past month then I think I have all year.

This double-feature review is of Pixar's "Brave" and the new Will Ferrel/Zach Galifanakis vehicle "The Campaign.

In short, both were kind of funny and kind of scary.



As far as "Brave" goes, it was a decent flick. It wasn't a instantly memorable as Pixar's other classics, but it had a nice story, some good performances, and was a solid entry.

I'll admit that around the halfway mark I became sort of one step ahead of the film, being able to see the direction it was heading shortly before it got there. But this isn't really that bad, since as I said it was a good story. And what can I say? I love Scottish accents.

The trailers kind of made this one out to be something that it wasn't really, so I was also a little disappointed in it in that regard. But, once again, the fact that it was still a good story at the end of the day saves it. Not much else to say about it. Billy Connolly needs to do more things.

"The Campaign" was also a good time and I had quite a few laughs. My problem with that one however is that it's not exaggerated enough. Politics has degenerated into what this movie is, and it frankly scares the hell out of me.

I haven't spoken a lot about politics here, and that will probably continue to be the case since I try my very best not to talk out of my ass. I do try and follow politics as best I can, but most of what goes on makes me so disgusted and depressed that I try to forget it, and therefore can't recall specifics when a debate springs up. I will say I definitely lean left on social issues, and economics makes absolutely zero sense to me no matter how many people try to explain it (talk about a game!), and that's all I'll reveal.

My point is that this film hits a little too close to what's actually been going on lately in Washington for my comfort. It's till a good film with great performances and gags.

Both films earn a solid B rating from me. Check 'em out if you have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment