Tuesday, May 22, 2012

THAT'S A LOT OF NUTS!!!

It's been ten years since a film came out that to this day has me doubled over in laughter whenever I watch it.



Before we continue, I'd like to point out that these anniversary reviews will be more reflective than anything else. I probably won't go into full synopses, though I will be talking about spoilers.

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. I mean, with a name like that, you almost know exactly what you're getting. So I'm wondering why nobody remembers it. It's the perfect film for the internet generation too, because it combines the fandub with the self-insert fic for good, laugh-out-loud craziness.

My guess is that it was just poorly advertised. I mean, I was thinking it was just going to be a kung-fu send-up. I didn't know it was actually the spiritual successor to Woody Allen's "What's Up, Tiger Lily" until I was in the seat and the film basically told me what it was doing before the action starts. In fact, the working title for the film was "The Badly-Dubbed Action Movie", which I think they should have kept out of sheer bluntness. Kind of like "Snakes on a Plane".

Also, all the ads really showed was the stuff with the cow and the gopherchucks which were probably the least funny parts of that film. If there was one advantage of doing it that way, it was that all the truly gold gags were a total surprise. But was it worth it?

Well, I remember it, and I love it. If you've never seen it, pick it up. It's stupid, but in the most wonderful of ways. There's really not much else I can say about this one except to quote half the movie. Oh, and to say that if you do pick it up, watch the "original audio" language track. It goes from everyone being silly to 90% people speaking Chinese and 10% people speaking Word Salad.

OOOOOOWEEEEOOOOOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment